Wednesday, February 03, 2010

SPOTLIGHT: Carol Hurlock

HAPPY WEDNESDAY! It's SPOTLIGHT DAY at Fred She Said and I am delighted to spotlight Carol H.!  I swear this girl knows how to throw the hearts around!   Check out her blog and see the valentine decorating and cute pillow ornaments she has been making!  Beeootiful!  Now here's CAROL!:

********************************************

You can't believe how excited I was when I saw this fabulous Digi from Fred She Said Designs. With a houseful of baseball fans and players it is the perfect image for a Valentine's Day Card!!! Tracy's images are some of the best on the net. This wonderful image is called "Catch Your Heart" and can be found here at her store!

I LOVE shaker cards and knew this image would be a perfect shaker....but with a twist. If you look closely, you will see a package of Terrifically Tacky Tape. I am forever throwing out that nice domed piece....and suddenly in December it hits me that I could use that...and so this shaker card was born. You too should save that piece, because I am going to tell you how to use it for your next easy peasey "Shaker Card".
The size of my card is 6 x 6. You can see here that I cut around the plastic and left about a 1/2 inch or so. I filled the bowl with this shaker material. Hint: If you are having problems with static electricity inside the plastic dome, you can take a dryer sheet and wipe the inside before placing your shaker material. You are going to glue this to your image....you can see mine in the foreground. I use 3-in-1 Advanced Craft Glue for my adhesive.

Once that has dried, you are going to make the portion of the embellishment that slips over the dome to hide the edges. In this picture, I cut a 5" x 5' piece of designer paper. This is so easy to do as long as you have your measurements correct. In the middle of that piece of paper, I used Martha Stewart's round circle cutter and put the blade of the knife in the 3-9/16 hole and cut out the circle. I then used the heart around the page punches from Martha Stewart. I used the same 3-in-1 glue to attach it to the card. I love inking the edges of my cards...so I have used the Rangers Tea Dye distress ink around all the edges. The hearts are a Martha Stewart punch and I cut a plain heart to line the underside of this lattice heart.
Here is my card with the envelope I created. Keep in mind you will need a thicker style envelope to place your card in. I used the 6 x 6 Envelope Kit from "Priscillastyles" found here.You can see in this picture what I am talking about with the thickness.

The kit comes with a template to help you cut out the envelope. I have lined the inner part of my envelope and all the flaps, and this is how you form your envelope around the form. I hope you enjoyed viewing my project and will start using those pieces of plastic you would normally throw away. Just think about all the fun and fascinating things you can create with them and reuse these items to help save the earth!

********************************************************
 Gorgeous, Carol and what a great way to recycle packaging!

Have a great day!
:)*  Fred

7 comments:

Carolivy said...

Wow! What a gorgeous card Carol! A lot of work and love went into that card!

Michelle Pearson said...

love, love, love your creations carol!! such a sweet valentine and a great idea with the packaging!!

Jaspere said...

This is so beautiful. Love the rich colors and all those hearts. I have that heart punch too and love it.

mel m. m. mccarthy said...

This is AWEsome, Carol! LOVE your colouring. What a great way to recycle too. :o)

scotspanda said...

wow what a stunning card, lots of work and a perfect way to showcase traceys fabulous image!!

lotsalove

Amanda xx

Phyllis said...

Carol, what a lovely card and you surely do know how to throw a heart around!!

Phyllis MMDesign Team

Joan Del said...

The guys are going to love this one, Carol. Great ideas and a fab card.